On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 16:49, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

> > MandrakeSoft is a commercial software company. It ought to be able to be
> > profitable (or at least not burn cash so fast it gets near bankruptcy)
> > through normal business operations. If not, it deserves to fail. This is
> > the logic of capitalism, the system MandrakeSoft decided to exist under.
> > Live by the sword, die by the sword. I'm not about to give my money to a
> > failing business simply to keep it alive, there are charities which are
> > in far more deserving need of it.
> >

> Why do I get the impression that all the "deserving charities" are also
> waiting for your support? :P

Get that impression all you like, but it's entirely wrong. I'm a student
so I probably get a hell of a lot less money than most people on this
list, but I think more of mine goes to charity than most people's.

> Eh, thanks for playing!  As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the
> appeals to the realities of capitalism, in one breath, then the
> unilateral rejection of the capitalistic bankruptcy protection, in

Capitalistic bankruptcy protection?! Sorry to burst your bubble, but
there's no such thing. Bankruptcy protection is government interference
in the free operation of free market capitalism (I'm sure Adam Smith
wouldn't have wanted to hear of such a thing). Anyway, your point is
entirely irrelevant, as what I said had bugger all to do with bankruptcy
protection. At the time I wrote it, I wasn't aware Mandrake had actually
filed for the French Chapter 11 equivalent - I hadn't read the news for
that day yet. I was simply pointing out that IN THE EVENT THAT Mandrake
SHOULD go bankrupt (NOT enter bankruptcy protection), it didn't spell
the end for the distro. My other points were general and apply whether
MandrakeSoft is bankrupt, in bankruptcy protection, or stuck up a bloody
tree, so long as it's still begging its users for charity. Re-read what
I'm saying then come back.

> another, is only typical of the speciousness of your 'argument'.
> Gratuitously appending a 'worst case scenario' rationale after the fact
> changes nothing. (*)

What do you mean, after the fact? I added a clarification. Nothing in my
original post said that I was talking about MandrakeSoft going into
bankruptcy protection, in fact it clearly stated the opposite. Someone
simply managed to miss this point, so I made it even clearer.

>   Also, airy-fairy concepts of opensource somehow
> seamlessly providing an uninterrupted source of the distro for the
> leechers, when all the flesh-and blood producers of same are looking for
> a new job and the infrastructure (lights, buildings, machines, websites)
> has vanished, fall short of compelling.  Sorry, even the most rigorous
> reading at the University of The Register does not qualify as a basis
> for deciding how *I* spend *my* money.  Anyone who must work for a

I didn't tell you how you should spend your money. Spend it how the hell
you like. It's not my decision. MandrakeSoft went into business on the
belief that it could exist as a profitable business while supplying a
freely distributed version of the GNU/Linux operating system. Insult me
all you like, this is an indisputable fact. It was the rationale on
which the company was founded, and if it can't manage to carry on
business in that fashion, I'm not going to shed a tear. By the rationale
of the system in which it lives, if it fails, it was a deserved failure.

> living and has half a backbone can appreciate that paying for a product
> that takes money to create is only reasonable.  Perhaps your education
> would benefit from some light reading on how Mandrake was started and
> how it has supported a panoply of opensource development.  (**)
> It all takes cash.

This argument is irrelevant. Entirely and utterly irrelevant. What is
"reasonable" or "right" has nothing at all to do with the point. You
will also note that, if you read between the lines of recent Mandrake
statements, they completely support my position. What they're saying
isn't that creating Mandrake Linux and supporting opensource development
is taking the cash they can't afford to spend. After all, their survival
depends on the insistence that they can carry out this core activity
profitably. What they're saying is exactly what I'm saying - that their
core operation is sustainable but that the peripheral crap they took on
during the dotcom era is dragging the company down.

> > This is the line MandrakeSoft has been feeding its customers for a while
> > now - "this is just a temporary problem, the rosy future is just around
> > the corner! No, actually, we lied, it's just around this NEXT corner!
> > Uh, just hold on to the next corner, would you?" It's starting to wear a
> > little thin.
>
> Now, you have the temerity to come to this list and call MandrakeSoft
> liars.  What has worn clear through is the alacrity with which those
> whose knowledge and critical thinking are no more developed than yours
> will seize upon the type of FUD you espouse as yet another
> raionalization for leeching the software and bashing the distributor.
> Why don't you go 'support' an endeavor more worthy of your high standards?

Oooh, do you feel big and clever now? Good, I'm glad I've served some
small part in massaging your masculinity. I support the *DISTRIBUTION*
Mandrake Linux by running Cooker and filing bug reports, the same way
everyone on this list does. MandrakeSoft, so far as I'm concerned, can
live or die by the business decisions it made; I don't consider it a
worthwhile usage of my money to bail out their lousy business choices.
--
adamw