On 23 Jan 2003 13:23:29 +0000
Robert Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 12:08, Warly wrote:
> > Shouldn't we agree on making compromise and selecting some
> > applications instead of including everything ? As an example
> > shouldn't we agree on making xcdroast, or k3b, the mandrake default
> > burner, and convince everybody to test it and make it good enough
> > for everyone, instead of having 5 of them ?
>
> Well said!!!  I think we should use a voting system (like the RPM
> package voting in the MandrakeClub) which narrows down the top apps
> like e-mail, browser, news reader, text editor, etc.

I'm not convinced as the gain would be marginal. The big fat stuff are
the underlying libs, not the frontends. I've made several different
rpmsrate to suit different boxes and there's a certain limit on how low
you can go and that's around 1Gig with a single desktop and 1.5 Gig with
two desktops. KDE is the hog. Why's there a povray app in it? But then,
I guess, no one at mdk wants to split those KDE packages.

On the problem of default apps consider this: KDE users often use GTK
apps too, but GNOME users almost exclusively use GNOME/GTK apps.

> Having a default application and maybe one alternative (second runner
> up) would help reduce confusion for newbies and make the distro more
> manageable size wise.

But the default should be per desktop, not per distro. I've tried
several times to make true single desktop machines. Killing KDE is
pretty simple, but not so when you want a desktop without GNOME.
Example: plug a camera to 9.0 and what comes up? Right, it's gtkam. I
had to change that manually to digikam.

> The third and fourth tier softwares could then be available from a
> "Mandrake Updateable" wesbite (kinda like the PLF and Texstar's stuff)
> using RPMDRAKE.

well, I guess that's alright. Though I'd still prefer having it all on a
DVD.

Regarding voting, I think it should go the other way round, ie try to
spot apps that seem unused and put them to the vote for removal. If less
than soso percent of users vote for keeping them, remove them. That way
that unhappy mc discussion would never have started in the first place.

Or make votes that sort apps, ie put all burners to the vote and keep
the first 3. My guess is that you will very often be surprised what app
actually takes the third place and how small the difference to the
second is.

- Mark