Le Vendredi 7 Février 2003 00:50, Austin Acton a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 17:38, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > We also need to support equaly contribs and main, don't you think ?
>
> Well, the problem is Mandrake says publicly "we fully support the
> packages in main, but not in contribs" so they do need to have tight
> control over main.
>
> Maybe a fair solution would be
> -make main much smaller, just core apps: kernel, daemons, drivers, main
> GUI
> -Mandrake keeps full control of that
> -make contribs much larger: include office apps, the smaller desktop
> environments
> -give developers much more control of contribs
>
> Then of course they would have to decide whether to ship a one CD distro
> and tell users to get all contribs online, OR ship some contribs stuff
> and say: CD 2+3 are unsupported.
>
> Tough call.

The problem is that if some people, ie Mandrake employees, have full control
of main, this would means that we are not fully equal.

Just take a look at the discussion for Maildir in /etc/skel, which involves
changes in main. If there is a distinction between developers, because some
of them have control on main, and the others not, this is no good.

IMHO, the problem of contrib support is the lack of people.
But, if the support team grow bigger, by including volunteers developpers, if
the bug are handled by the mainteners, and if each people have fewer
packages, this is solved, no ?

I think that everything should be equally supported by the community, and, if
someone want to pay for having Mandrake supporting a program for them, they
can.

We can provide normal support, Mandrake can and should provides commercial
support. Then, they can pay developpers, they can provides bandwidth and CPU,
and so on.

--

Mickaël Scherer