Am Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2003 15:27 schrieb Brook Humphrey:
> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 02:58 am, Martin Fahrendorf wrote:

> > > Ok so that covers authentiacation form what I read in thier web page
> > > but still does not cover using an encrypted channel to send email (ssl
> > > tunneling).
> >
> > cyrus does not send email (in the sence of sending via smtp). imap and
> > pop is implemented via unencrypted (110 and 143), vie TLS (995 and 993)
> > and afaik via starttls (via 110 and 143) connections. With a little patch
> > (at least in the 2.0.16 version) you can enable the imap server to accept
> > only valid and trusted certificates from the client via the ssl encrypted
> > line.
> >
> > Martin
>
> Thanks their website is not exactly, well it reads more like a man page in
> Swahili, and I'm American and cant read Swahili.

Yeah, it was a bunch of work to get all the information together. The webpage
is ugly (in design and information) but the documentation in the source is
much better.

> On a more serious note. There site is not very informative really. Spouting
> off rfc and blah blah this and that. If it were not in mandrake already I
> would never have taken the time to work with it from the way their site is.
>
> Is there a cyrus how to or anything like the qmail.org or qmail hot to
> pages that make things extremely clear if I want to look for it.

As said before, read the installation documentation from the source package.
It is realy good (but short).

> To finish up thanks for the explanation. I understand completely that it
> will not send mail for that we still need postfix, qmail without pop, or
> shudder sendmail.  I was just not wording myself correctly. What do you use
> for smtp?

The default mandrake one. But I use it for four years, even in my dark redhat
time. I also tried out qmail, but I could not get it doing what I want. And
before postfix I used sendmail and got it running very good. It has some
relay goot features (like adding header data and similar stuff). But it is
way to hard to setup.

We used qmail for a high volume mailserver and it is working very good but I
personaly don't like the manner of DJB.

Martin

- --
H E L I X Gesellschaft für Software & Engineering mbH
Hanauer Landstrasse 52              Telefon (069) 4789 35-30
60314 Frankfurt am Main             Telefax (069) 4789 35-44
http://www.helix-gmbh.net                [EMAIL PROTECTED]