On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Le Samedi 1 Mars 2003 23:28, Steffen Barszus a écrit :
> >
> > So you mean:
> > - requested packages have to go to cooker first and then rebuild for club
> Yes

So what if a club volunteer has a working package? Must he upload to
incoming, wait 2 months for Lenny to get to it, and then by the time it is
in contrib, he has no machine running the distro he originally built on,
and the people still running that distro don't get a package?

How about the case of Dann'ys kernel. In the time he has spent trying to
get it into contrib, he has provided a lot of working kernels (for 8.2 and
9.0) via the club. Forcing him to wait for his packages to get into
contrib first would have defeated the whole purpose of the club
volunteers.

The idea is to try and unify all the disparate packagers who dump their
stuff on their personal websites (since they may not care to follow
cooker), thereby making it easier (by ensuring there are SRPMS availablee
for one) to get those contributions into cooker. Although there are no
automatic checks (rpmlint etc.) there is at least a direct mechanism for
getting feedback on packages (nboth positive and negative).
Cooker/Bugzilla typically only provides negative feedback.

> > - packages that don't appear to be possible for cooker shouldn't be
> > uploaded to club (wether it is requested or not)
> I forgot the club had no license restriction. However, i'm still convinced
> those package should instead go in PLF, so as to keep a unique and
> non-ambiguous introduction point.
>
> I have no problems with the club mirroring and aggregating content from
> different location, so as to sell this service to its users. What i disagree
> is packages being introduced everywhere, making impossible to track them and
> to propagate them to maximum extent in a rationale way.

Packages are not introduced directly into the distro or contribs from
"everywhere". Ideally someone should take responsibilty for getting club
RPMs from free into contrib, but that should be someone involved with Club
(or multiple people). cookers should not worry themselves over the
packages in Club "free" that are not in contrib, until they get added, or
unless they would like to package the software.

Regards,
Buchan