On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> I thought original club vocation was to port packages from cooker main and
> contrib to current stable version. However, a quick look at the MandrakeClub
> directory for 9.0 on mirrors shows they are actually many packages there that
> are totally new: see enclosed list.
>
> I feel this is counter-intuitive, error-prone, and duplicated effort. Are we
> supposed to port them in contrib now ?

On the list were sword, gnomesword, and bibletime was possible left off
(is also in Club). These packages received a large number of votes in club
(I think Bibletime is the most voted-for package that is free software
that is not in main or contrib).

There have been some discussions on the MandrakeClub as to whether it
would be appropriate to have this software in the distribution.

So, before I go and add these to cooker contrib, what are the feelings
here.

First, some facts
1)Sword is a library for handling reference texts (originally for
Christian religious texts I think).
2)Both Gnomesword and BibleTime are front-end applications for the
library, allowing users to browse/search/follow references in the text.
3)Besides the name (in the case of BibleTime), there is no religious
content in these applications. The user would need to download "Sword
modules", which include various translations of the Bible, at least one
copy of the Qur'an, commentaries etc.
4)Debian includes these packages.

Would people be offended in finding these packages in contrib?

Would anyone consider using a distribution that does not include these
packages if they were to be included in ccntrib?

Would people you know be more interested in using Mandrake (over
Windows/RH/SuSE/Debian) if these packages were included?

Any other rational arguments for or against these packages?

(remember, there are a significant number of Mandrake users who already
use the software, and a significant number of club members have voted for
it, so please do not use arguments such as "how would they feel if we
included satanic or other offensive software", unless such material has
been requested by a large number of users on the club or on this list).

Regards,
Buchan