On Wednesday 05 March 2003 10:55 pm, jokerman64 wrote:
> 1. There is no way for root to log in in mdkkdm

I believe this is a feature.  You have three choices

   1) urpme mdkkdm
      urpmi kdebase-kdm

   2) Set all users as no show, so that you type in all user names.  This
      will allow root to be typed in.

   3) Set root user to be unhidden.

> 2. kdeadmin-kpackage requires kdeadmin to be installed which further
> requires pciutils. Problem: why the hell split the packages if you're going
> make kdeadmin a requirement. Are you trying to say that most people use all
> the other stuff and mostly ignore kpackage. I'd think the exact opposite is
> true. Most people use kpackage and not the rest of the stuff. On a tangent
> the same would be true of kmail. Didn't there used to be a separate kmail
> package a week ago? what happened to it. That's also something most people
> use instead the main kde package it comes with. I actually made a bug
> report for this one because it's in my opinion worth time working on before
> the distro comes out. 3. Sound: whenever I'm playing music and surfing the
> web at the same time there is distortion in the music. This is particularly
> noticeable when I click on a link from an application and konqueror pops
> up. It also happens to a lesser (read not so annoying) extent when moving a
> window. The "popping" of sound is still noticeable however.

I would guess this is because artswrapper is not running suid root on mandrake
as it was intended by KDE arts team.

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder/artswrapper.html

http://www.arts-project.org/doc/handbook/faq-latency.html#id2805223

> 4. The Mandrake galaxy theme still doesn't show up words on buttons in
> webpages. It's a real pain submitting bug reports when you can't see what
> buttons say. Back to keramik. The galaxy theme should definitely NOT be
> DEFAULT for kde 3.1

I can't explain this, unless Laurent and kde team is planning a surprise.

--
Greg