Hi, Jessica.

For me it depends on where I am and what I'm eating.

If I'm having pancakes or French Toast at home, I'll tear it into bite size pieces before putting on the butter and syrup. If I'm out someplace I'll use the fork to get an idea of where the pancake is and try to cut bite size pieces before putting anything on it.

the easiest thing for me to do with steak and other meat is to hold the knife in my right hand and use the left hand to judge the size I need cut. But this doesn't look so nice in public, so I usually just muddle through by sticking my fork into the meat and holding it with my left hand while bringing the edge of the knife as close to the fork as I can before cutting. this results in pieces of various sizes, unfortunately. But short of having someone else cut it for me or using the hands on method outlined above, it's the best way for me if I am cutting the food myself and I know people will be eating with me in public.

And yes, the type of knife and even the cutting surface makes a difference. I hate dinners at my parents house because they eat all of their meals, even Christmas and Thanksgiving meals, on TV trays in the living room. Not only do the trays wobble, but there usually isn't the right type of knife used to cut the food. I either have to cut the food up in the kitchen or just have my mom do it before she brings in the plate. And don't get me started on using paper plates and plastic knives for steak.. . <sigh>

I like the idea of using a larger plate to be sure the meat doesn't fall off or get smashed into other foods. I have asked for larger bowls when ordering salads and spaghetti just to avoid making a bigger mess.

As someone said, it's not always an exact science. Unless you're constantly touching your food, you may not always cut a perfect size piece for you.

And yes, lots of sighted people are very rude and messy eaters. it's just people notice us more, it's just one of those things we have to put up with as people who do things a tad differently.

Lisa Belville
lisa...@frontier.com
missktlab1...@frontier.com