finally got stereo in coot working on the ppc with Tiger.
it was necessary to download X11 1.1.3 (and XCode 2.5).
hope I did not bore too many people with my uselessness at installing software.

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC