Also - apologies for all the questions - is there any way to easily get the
first and last residue of a given chain from the scripting interface?

This would be handy for scripting using functions that take a residue range
where one might want to apply the function to an entire arbitrary chain (e.g.
fit_residue_range_to_map_by_simplex or score_residue_range_fit_to_map).

Cheers,
Oliver.