I understand now. Here is the updated webrev to directly map IO_Append to handleWrite in *nix platforms, http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dxu/8001334/webrev.03/.

I checked FileOutputStream.java source code, and we do guarantee the consistency of append flag between open and write operations. Thanks!

-Dan

On 03/12/2013 02:22 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 12/03/2013 18:01, Dan Xu wrote:

Hi Alan,

Do you mean directly map IO_Append to handleWrite in io_util_md.h for the *nix case? And then where do we check the O_APPEND flag in our code? Or do we require users to open the file with O_APPEND flag? Thanks!
Yes, either IO_Append is defined to be handleWrite or else add handleAppend that simply calls handleWrite. There's no need to check O_APPEND after the file is opened for append, not on *nix anyway.

-Alan