After much chopping, I have finally narrowed it down to a single source
file, and no external dependencies (other than starting Windows' cmd.exe
process) :
https://github.com/bruno-medeiros/Scratchpad/blob/jvm-processio-issue/jvm_process_bug/src/JVMProcessBug.java

In this final form, I am now able to replicated the bug in my machine on
many different runs of the program even beyond the first one after booting.
But it doesn't occur every time, only about two thirds the time.
Tried running it again with JVM 8 several times but never got it to
reproduce there. Maybe it really isn't present in JVM 8, only 7. Hopefully
this should be enough for JVM developers to replicate it.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros