This was on my TODO list back in 2005 or so.  I never got around to it, in
part because of my personal and Sun's corporate Unix focus, and because
waiting for Win98 to be de-supported was a great way to procrastinate.

It's good for Microsoft employees (actual Windows users) to work on this -
you have a much better idea of what Windows users actually expect.  My own
never-realized plan was to simply silently switch to full Unicode - use the
"W" version of the API anywhere we talk to the OS (by default).  But I
don't know how existing users might be broken.

"default unicode charset" is a bizarre concept to me.  Do windows users
really have a "regular" charset and a "unicode" charset?  If they do, we
probably want to keep that concept out of the public non-Windows API
somehow.  Also, the "W" API is implicitly UTF-16, not any other flavor of
Unicode.  You probably want to capitalize "unicode".