+1

C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().

On 1/5/2018 3:42 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 4 Jan 2018, at 23:42, Brian Burkhalter <brian.burkhal...@oracle.com> wrote:

On Dec 11, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Brian Burkhalter <brian.burkhal...@oracle.com>
wrote:

On Dec 8, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Brian Burkhalter <brian.burkhal...@oracle.com>
wrote:

All previous suggested changes have been made in

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bpb/4358774/webrev.03/

except for the possible change of name for the IS and OS nullStream() methods
which awaits consensus.
As long as we’re still at it, given java.util.stream.Stream then

InputStream.nullInput()
OutputStream.nullOutput()
Reader.nullReader()
Writer.nullWriter()

might not be a bad alternative.
Re-reading the discussion [1] of last year regarding [2], it seems that there
was convergence on all points raised except the names of the new methods. The
alternatives are:

A) InputStream.nullStream() and OutputStream.nullStream() as in the most recent
version, webrev.03,
B) InputStream.nullInput() and OutputStream.nullOutput() as shown above, and
C) InputStream.nullInputStream() and OutputStream.nullOutputStream().

Does anyone have any more comments on this point? I would be inclined to choose
option C.
After re-reading the email thread, I would choose option C too. It is
unambiguous, and the ‘null{classname}’ pattern can be used for Reader/Writer in
the future.

-Chris

Thanks,

Brian