On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 15:05:33 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The reformatting changes to StreamEncoder/StreamDecoder make it hard to see
> if there are any actual changes. Is there anything we should look at? It's
> okay to include this cleanup, I can't tell what happened with this source
> file.

Apart from a few things being made final that weren't, and a flattening of a
back-to-back Charset lookup in one of the constructors its mostly formatting
cleanups.

> I want to study the change System.setJavaLangAccess a bit further to
> understand why this is needed (I know there is a awkward bootstrapping issue
> here).

Right, I'm not exactly sure why the more limited changes I attempted in 5f4e87f
failed. In that change I simply changed the initialization order, which made
the failing (closed) tests pass locally - but not in our CI. Since this is in
initPhase1 there should be no concurrency possible.