For the third time: This discussion illustrates why the PR was premature; the design was not agreed upon first.  High-level design discussions (i.e., "is this a good design", "is this a good idea at all", "are we solving the right problem", "does it need to be solved in the JDK") should happen first on the discussion lists; if they happen on a PR like this, that's clear evidence that important steps have been skipped.