On 7/09/2021 1:17 am, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
@dholmes-ora: Generally speaking, all `tierX` definitions are rather arbitrary, as there
seem to be nothing intrinsic about the tests to be in a particular tier. In other words,
what `tierX` consists of is a matter of agreement. I'd say `hotspot:tier4` is "all
assorted Hotspot tests that are not application-specific suites"

The difference is that your previous work just consolidated the existing subsystem tier 1-3 definitions, but here you are choosing to define "all the rest" as tier 4. I don't think it is actually helpful/useful to anyone - and it bears no resemblance whatsoever to what we call "tier 4", so that will just lead to unnecessary confusion IMO.

David