On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 16:47:33 GMT, Volker Simonis <simo...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This issue was reported by: Yakov Shafranovich
> ([yako...@amazon.com](mailto:yako...@amazon.com))
>
> Currently, `ObjectInputStream::readObject()` doesn't explicitly checks for a
> negative array length in the deserialization stream. Instead it calls
> `j.l.r.Array::newInstance(..)` with the negative length which results in a
> `NegativeArraySizeException`. NegativeArraySizeException is an unchecked
> exception which is neither declared in the signature of
> `ObjectInputStream::readObject()` nor mentioned in its API specification. It
> is therefore not obvious for users of `ObjectInputStream::readObject()` that
> they may have to handle `NegativeArraySizeException`s. It would therefor be
> better if a negative array length in the deserialization stream would be
> automatically wrapped in an `InvalidClassException` which is a checked
> exception (derived from `IOException` via `ObjectStreamException`) and
> declared in the signature of `ObjectInputStream::readObject()`.
>
> If we do the negative array length check in `ObjectInputStream::readObject()`
> before filtering, this will then also fix
> `ObjectInputFilter.FilterInfo::arrayLength()` which is defined as:
>
> Returns:
> the non-negative number of array elements when deserializing an array of the
> class, otherwise -1
>
> but currently returns a negative value if the array length is negative.

test/jdk/java/io/ObjectInputStream/NegativeArraySizeTest.java line 59:

> 57:             if (serializedData[i] == 0x78) {
> 58:                 firstPos = i;
> 59:                 break;

Move setting the length code (lines 64-67) here and return immediately.

test/jdk/java/io/ObjectInputStream/NegativeArraySizeTest.java line 62:

> 60:             }
> 61:         }
> 62:

The test should fail if it falls through without finding the BLOCKDATA. Just a
double guard against the unexpected.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13540#discussion_r1172973558
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13540#discussion_r1172974579