On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 06:07:26 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Reported by [jarabe...@gmail.com](mailto:jarabe...@gmail.com) [1]
>>
>> jspawnhelper uses argv[0] to receive the fd string from the parent. That
>> breaks with conventions and trips over certain tools like binfmt_misc.
>>
>> For details, see linked ML discussion.
>>
>> [1] https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2023-June/107738.html
>
> Thomas Stuefe has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   correct comment

Looks good to me. While doing my recent `jspawnhelper` fixes I wondered why
we're passing our arguments in `argv[0]` but I didn't wanted to change it
because it is not really [required by any
standard](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2050961/is-argv0-name-of-executable-an-accepted-standard-or-just-a-common-conventi).

I agree however, that it still makes sense to adhere to conventions :)
especially because this will probably simplify the handling of the next
`jspawnhelper` issue because it will be easier to discover the process with
system tools if something should go wrong :)

src/java.base/unix/native/libjava/ProcessImpl_md.c line 500:

> 498:     /* NULL-terminated argv array.
> 499:      * argv[0] contains path to jspawnhelper, to follow conventions.
> 500:      * argv[1] contains the fd string as argument to the helper cmd

May want to use "jspawnhelper" instead of "the helper app" and terminate the
sentence with a period to be consistent with the previous comment.

Marked as reviewed by simonis (Reviewer).

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14531#pullrequestreview-1486159389
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14531#discussion_r1234016774