On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:40:56 GMT, Matias Saavedra Silva <matsa...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> Currently we exit the VM after static dumping with
>> `MetaspaceShared::exit_after_static_dump()`.
>>

>>  // We have finished dumping the static archive. At this point, there may be
>> pending VM
>>  // operations. We have changed some global states (such as
>> vmClasses::_klasses) that
>>  // may cause these VM operations to fail. For safety, forget these
>> operations and
>>  // exit the VM directly.
>>  void MetaspaceShared::exit_after_static_dump() {
>>    os::_exit(0);
>>  }
>>

>> As the comment suggests, the VM state is altered when preparing and
>> performing the static dump, so this change aims to prevent these state
>> changes so the VM can exit normally after the static dump completes. There
>> are three major aspects to this change:
>> 1. Since the resolved references array in the Constant Pool is altered when
>> preparing for a static dump, a "scratch copy" is created and archived
>> instead
>> 2. Symbols are sorted by address and have their hash recalculated. Similarly
>> to point 1, the copies of the symbols that are to be archived have their
>> hashes updated as opposed to the originals.
>> 3. The handling of -Xshare:dump during argument parsing such that the VM can
>> continue and exit normally with an exit code of 0.
>>
>> Verified with tier 1-9 tests.
>
> Matias Saavedra Silva has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Refactored KlassToOopHandleTable, Ioi and Alan comments

Looks good. Just a couple of nits.

src/hotspot/share/cds/heapShared.cpp line 331:

> 329:     mtClassShared> {
> 330: public:
> 331:   oop get_oop(MetaspaceObj* obj) {

The word `obj` may be confusing here as it may look like an oop. I think it's
better to change it to `ptr`.

A bit of background:

CDS copies two types of objects:  oops (archiveHeapWriter.cpp and
heapShared.cpp) and MetsapceObjs (in archiveBuilder.cpp)

In the former two files, the convention is to use `obj` to refer to oops, and
`ptr` to refer to MetsapceObjs.

In archiveBuilder.cpp, since we never use a mix of oops and MetsapceObjs, we
use `obj` to refer to MetsapceObjs. This is mostly for historical purposes, and
we might some day change it to use `ptr` to be more consistent.

src/hotspot/share/oops/constantPool.cpp line 226:

> 224:       // Handle scratch_handle(THREAD, scratch_references);
> 225:       //HeapShared::add_scratch_resolved_references(this,
> loader_data->add_handle(scratch_handle));
> 226:       HeapShared::add_scratch_resolved_references(this,
> scratch_references);

Comments should be removed?

Marked as reviewed by iklam (Reviewer).

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14879#pullrequestreview-1550470579