On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 22:48:20 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <b...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> On Windows, do not return `true` from the `java.io.File` methods
>> `setReadable(boolean, boolean)` and `setExecutable(boolean, boolean)` if the
>> file does not exist.
>
> Brian Burkhalter has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   8316000: Add the API notes to the corresponding single parameter methods

I agree this one needs a spec clarification as changing the implementation
would be an incompatible change leading to the methods apparently failing for
cases where they didn't previously fail.  I don't think it will work to just
add an apiNote, it needs to normative. Also the descriptions of the return
value say that the method fails (which can be interpreted to mean return false)
when the file system doesn't support the permission.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15673#issuecomment-1727217278