On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:11:27 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <b...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> On Windows, do not return `true` from the `java.io.File` methods
>> `setReadable(boolean, boolean)` and `setExecutable(boolean, boolean)` if the
>> file does not exist.
>
> Brian Burkhalter has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   8316000: Move apiNotes to normative text; update @return descriptions

src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/File.java line 1643:

> 1641:      *          change the access permissions of this abstract
> pathname.  If
> 1642:      *          the underlying file system does not implement a read
> permission,
> 1643:      *          then the operation will return the value of the {@code
> readable}

There's a switcharoo here. The method description speaks of the platform not
supporting file permissions. The return description changes terminology and
speaks of the file system not implementating permissions. I think we'll get
these consistent but overall the intent is okay.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15673#discussion_r1332685101