On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:46:43 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <b...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> On Windows, do not return `true` from the `java.io.File` methods
>> `setReadable(boolean, boolean)` and `setExecutable(boolean, boolean)` if the
>> file does not exist.
>
> Brian Burkhalter has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   8316000: Align the spec and return verbiage

I looked at the latest update (8189784a) and have two suggestions

1. Revert the method descriptions to what you had in the previous version
(8640decd). That makes it clear it returns the value of the parameter when the
platform doesn't support file permissions.

2. In the return description, make it clear that the method fails if the user
does not have permission to change the access permissions, or the platform
supports file permissions but the underlying file system does not implement the
read/whatever permission.

I think that will cover the 2x2 cases of platform vs. underlying file
permissions that the previous iterations grappled with.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15673#issuecomment-1733521012