On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:16:52 GMT, Ryan Wallace <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please review this fix for jar tool not producing archive if there is a
> missing file supplied. Fix is to throw an exception and exit processing when
> a missing file is supplied. Current behaviour will recognise missing file as
> an error but continue processing and not produce the archive. Updated
> ClassPath test to verify jar is not created.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan.

I had a look and its been in since JDK 9
(https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8158295) but haven’t found any mention of
this as a specific desired behaviour so I am going with just noticed now. Its
not a major blocker as the user can either make sure the missing file is in
place or exclude it from being added to the archive and rerun.

I agree it will need some thought, I was of the opinion that we should fail
upfront and notify the user of why. The JDK 8 behaviour doesn’t make sense as
the state is recognised as an error and there are tests to validate this, but
they do not validate the archive has not been created, in my opinion we
shouldn’t continue on and create it. There are other areas in the jar tool in 8
that will clean up (delete) the archive that has been created if there is an
error, this case just seems to fall through the cracks.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16423#issuecomment-1794612971