Hello,
for me, it seems what you want is Collector on Stream which is able to
short-circuit,
so you can write
list.stream().collect(Collectors.findFirst(s -> s.contains("o")))
and in reverse
list.reversed().stream().collect(Collectors.findFirst(s -> s.contains("o")))

Using a Stream here is more general and will work with other collections like a
LinkedHashSet for example.
Sadly, there is no way to define a short-circuiting collector :(

You can have a short-circuiting Gatherer like this
<T> Gatherer<T, ?, Integer> findIndex(Predicate<? super T> predicate) {
return Gatherer.ofSequential(
() -> new Object() { int index; },
Integrtor.ofGreedy((state, element, downstream) -> {
var index = state.index++;
if (predicate.test(element)) {
return downstream.push(index);
}
return true;
}));
}

and use it like this:
list.stream().gather(findIndex(s -> s.contains("o"))).findFirst().orElse(-1);

But it's more verbose.

I wonder if at the same time that the Gatherer API is introduced, the Collector
API should be enhanced to support short-circuiting collectors ?

regards,
Rémi