> That was what i referred to as "Map-solvable" problems,
> but if this way of doing it is a thing, then I agree with
> the point.

Doing it the Map way would not only be slower, but it would force you to
include more concepts than you need. Your identifier is your index.
Lists/arrays have index. Bringing a map in only complicates things.

As for the rest of your response, I think I understand the trouble here.
You put it best when you said that you are introducing this feature with
the intent of improving the developer experience, specifically through
making code more concise.

I can understand that goal, and it is a good goal to strive for, but
conciseness is one of the last things Java aims to provide as a language or
through its standard library. I won't tell you not to do it, but I will
tell you that there will be significant push back from folks here, and for
good reason -- conciseness is not the priority here at Java. At Java, the
lack of conciseness is not a weakness. Sure, unneeded verbosity can be a
weakness, but the solution I suggested above is basically the tempo that
Java strives for -- compose simple concepts so that you can create what you
need.

All of that is to say, you have made your point clear. You goal is
conciseness and ease of access. Understanding that, it's clear that my
solution is not concise enough to meet that goal, so I won't push it
further.