I was thinking of zip api’s other than java’s. The field needs to be at a fixed
place in the file format whatever the name? Unless a significant api change has
been made.

A couple of links from googling on “zip extra field chaining"

https://libzip.org/specifications/extrafld.txt
https://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/405-Keeping-Zip.html

If this were strictly jar files I would be less concerned but zip is widely
used outside of java so more chances for conflict where java doesn’t have
anything like ownership.
At the time I looked at it the provision for “user” additions was very limited
again making conflict more likely.