On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 21:30:49 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> Jorn Vernee has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional
>> commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - review comments
>>  - add man page
>
> src/jdk.jdeps/share/man/jnativescan.1 line 121:
>
>> 119: .TP
>> 120: \f[V]--release\f[R] \f[I]version\f[R]
>> 121: Used to specify the Java SE release that specifies the set of restricted
>
> In principle, the release could also affect which methods are native or not?

Yes, but we don't warn on `native` method references, only on declarations. So,
it would only affect which methods might be `native` in the user code. But I
think that is already implied by the note on multi-release jars?

> src/jdk.jdeps/share/man/jnativescan.1 line 127:
>
>> 125: This option should be set to the version of the runtime under which the
>> 126: application is eventually intended to be run.
>> 127: If this flag is omitted, the version of \f[V]jnativescan\f[R] is used as
>
> Maybe we should point to `Runtime.version()` instead?

Not sure. If a client is just using the tool, how would they know what
`Runtime.version()` returns? I mean, it's the version of the JDK, but to find
that out they'd have to use another JDK tool (e.g. jshell)  to print it out, or
look at the release file. The `jnativescan` version on the other hand is
readily accessible through the `--version` flag.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19774#discussion_r1647436934
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19774#discussion_r1647441115