On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 07:38:35 GMT, Marc Chevalier <[email protected]> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/jdk/internal/misc/UnsafeConstants.java line 116:
>> 
>>> 114: 
>>> 115:     /**
>>> 116:      * The mask used to cut hashes to the hash field in the mark word.
>> 
>> Is "cut hashes" the right term here? The `Unsafe.hashCodeMask()` on the 
>> other hand says:
>>> Reports the mask used to fit hashcodes into the cache field of the mark 
>>> word.
>> 
>> While at it, this file will need a copyright year update.
>
> I'm guilty of writing this code while not being used to Runtime or Corelib. I 
> had trouble coming with some text, and I must say I also don't love it. But I 
> happily take suggestions! The idea is that the mask is of the form 0...01...1 
> (ones in one segment, in the lower bits, all the ones on the right of the 
> zeroes... Phrase it as you will). And so, bitwise-anding with that will 
> select only some amount of the lower bits of the hash computed from the field 
> to make something that fits in the cache in the mark word, and that's this 
> cut value that is the identity hashcode of the value object. But I don't know 
> how to phrase that nicely.

I will give it a bit more thought, but I can't think of anything concise and 
better right now. But it's not necessary to wait on this internal code comment 
change.

-------------

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/32660#discussion_r4060754147

Reply via email to