On Mon, 21 Sep 2026 09:21:22 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm guilty of writing this code while not being used to Runtime or Corelib. 
>> I had trouble coming with some text, and I must say I also don't love it. 
>> But I happily take suggestions! The idea is that the mask is of the form 
>> 0...01...1 (ones in one segment, in the lower bits, all the ones on the 
>> right of the zeroes... Phrase it as you will). And so, bitwise-anding with 
>> that will select only some amount of the lower bits of the hash computed 
>> from the field to make something that fits in the cache in the mark word, 
>> and that's this cut value that is the identity hashcode of the value object. 
>> But I don't know how to phrase that nicely.
>
> I will give it a bit more thought, but I can't think of anything concise and 
> better right now. But it's not necessary to wait on this internal code 
> comment change.

Suggestion: "Mask used to remove the highest bits of a computed raw hash code 
that would not fit in the space dedicated to hash code storage in objects 
headers."

-------------

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/32660#discussion_r4093894671

Reply via email to