Thanks, John.
Next year, when I will be hopefully majoring in English, we can - as we use to say in Portuguese -exchange some "stamps" about English Literature...
 
Best regards,
 
Priscila
 
-------Original Message-------
 
Date: quinta-feira, 08 de dezembro de 2005 01:48:03
Subject: Re: Greetings too...
 
>> the "Students" party - but I think that "handsome" is used only for human
>> beings... am I right?
>>
>> Priscila
>>
Hi Priscila,

Yes, generally "handsome" is used only for humans, and **mainly** only
for men. Women are "pretty" or "attractive" or "beautiful" but not
"handsome" .... though this has NOT always been true. In older
English novels (written before 1850) "handsome" may refer to a woman
also.

That much said, "handsome dog" sounds OK to me .... In English we call
the dog "man's best friend" and maybe that's why "handsome dog" sounds
OK. But you'd never say "handsome house" or "handsome teapot" etc.

Take care,
John
Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

Reply via email to