On Mar 3, 5:32 pm, "Petr Hrubis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > > > etc.) first put the ideas on a
> > > > > firmer ground.
>
> > > > I think you want "on a firmer footing." That's a cliche, and
> > > > ordinarily to be avoided as such, but used sparingly they don't
> > > > detract, in my humble opinion. "On firmer ground" (no "a") would be
> > > > OK, too.
>
> > > I see. Are there any better phrases I could use?
>
> > Sure, dozens, but you're OK. "Better" is subjective, anyhow.
>
> Well, I agree "better" is subjective, of course, but I'd like to be
> acceptable to as many people as possible (although, I admit,
> "majority" doesn't necessarily have to mean "the best", does it?).

Now that I've looked at it in situ, as it were, I quite like "on
firmer ground."

> > Ah. I took "ancient Aquitanian" to be the name of the language, sort
> > of, almost like "High German,"
>
> Well, I would have written "Ancient Aquitanian" (with a capital "A")

Right. That's why I said "sort of." My bad.

> > so "ancient" couldn't span the
> > conjunction. This is what happens when a genius writes for idiots. How
> > about, "It has been suggested that the now-extinct Aquitanian and
> > maybe also Iberian languages...". I used "extinct" not knowing the
> > correct term in your field. Insert the right one.
>
> Well, "extinct" is very general and is often used in this sense in
> historical linguistics. By the way, the estimated time of extinction
> is (roughly) 1st-2nd century AD.
>
> Another thing: what about "so-called"? I feel it is not neutral in
> English, so I should probably replace it by something else...or simply
> delete it...? What do you think? In Czech, it is absolutely neutral,
> which confuses me a little. The other co-author, who isn't a native
> speaker of English either, inserted it in the article several times,
> but I doubt it is correct...

That's problematical. We're talking about tone and connotation, which
are unavoidably idiosyncratic. I gave the matter brief thought when I
encountered the locution in your piece and concluded at the time that
it was a satisfactory way of avoiding scare quotes. The thing is, "so-
called" is snide in certain contexts and absolutely neutral in others.
I think it defaults to neutral.

Upon re-reading note 1, I see what you mean. I'm afraid I have to ask
you what is meant by "so-called" in each of the three instances. I
took it to mean that the names are not as yet widely recognized or
accepted.



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Correct my English" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/correct-my-english
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to