Great! Thanks a lot! 2007/3/4, splay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: > The sentence in question is, "John D. Bengtson proposes a so-called > Vasco-Caucasian family, comprising the Vasconic and North Caucasian > languages, and a so-called Macro-Caucasian family, adding Burushaski > to the former two." > > Losing "so-called" and two commas, and tweaking, we get, "John D. > Bengtson > proposes a Vasco-Caucasian family comprising the Vasconic and North > Caucasian languages, and a Macro-Caucasian family comprising the > Vasco-Caucasian family and Burushaski."
That's precisely how I'd have written that if I hadn't been obsessed with...I don't know how to call it. :-) Thanks a lot! > This way, "proposes" reaches past the name to the idea, and the > question of the theoretical status of the names is left aside. And I > never liked "former" in the original. "Former" is risky. You always > want it to point squarely at something previous. Better to repeat. That's right. I'll try to remember this. ;-) > Please let me know what you think about this, and also let me know > when you'd like me to look at the Wikipedia page again. I agree. As for the Wikipedia page again, there are parts which could be rewritten, indeed. Some of them were written by David Marjanović, others by me. The following links should take you to them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dene-Caucasian_languages#Reconstructed_phonology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dene-Caucasian_languages#Sound_correspondences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dene-Caucasian_languages#A_Small_Sample > By the way, I'm half Slovenian and my wife is one-quarter Czech, so > you've come to the right place. That's cool! Moc dekuju za pomoc ;-) Best wishes, Petr --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Correct my English" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/correct-my-english -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
