On Mar 4, 4:09 pm, "Petr Hrubis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Oh, I didn't know "to with". Thank you!

"To wit," not "with." It's a kind of mummified form; you never see
this "wit" anywhere else (I think it originally meant something like
"to know"). I prefer it to "i.e." or "id est" simply because it's
English. It is in current use. "Namely" works, too.

> > "...its reconstruction is still in its infancy but may soon be
> > improved...".
>
> I see, so this is the phrase...

Yup. Another cliche, by the way.

>originally, I wanted to write "in the
> napkin", but didn't know whether it was used in English at all. :-)

Translated into American English, that would be "in diapers," which
would be understood even though it's not a stock phrase. It would be
pretty funny, too.

> > The other page looks OK.
>
> > > That's cool! Moc dekuju za pomoc ;-)
>
> "Moc dekuju za pomoc", pronounced approximately [mots jeck-oo-yoo zah
> pom-mots], means "Thank you a lot for (your) help", but I'm sorry,
> I've got no idea what the following might mean, however familiar it
> might look to me... :-)))
>
> > Avehay anhay icenay aday.

Well, no wonder. I misspelled "ahay" and "ayday." (It's Pig Latin--
child's wordplay. You take the initial consonant sound(s), move it to
the end and add "ay." If the word starts with a vowel, you simply add
"hay." It's usually only spoken. That's a sample of my sense of humor;
I thought it would be funny to answer a Czech linguist with that and
see if you knew what it was. Too bad I blew it.)


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Correct my English" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/correct-my-english
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to