From: "Elwyn Soutter" <elwynsout...@yahoo.co.uk>
<cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com>
Cc: "Ron McCoy" <ron.mc...@outlook.com>, "Len Swindley"
<len_swind...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:01:15 PM
Subject: Re: IRWINS from Clogher, County Tyrone

Gail,

Statutory marriage registration started in Ireland in 1845 (save for RC
marriages). Statutory birth registration started in 1864 (as did RC marriage
registration). So the Irwin-McCutcheon marriage and all their Irish born
children are well before those start dates. So you won’t find a marriage
certificate or birth certificates for the family.
You might find the marriage in church records, and the children’s baptisms.
However not all churches have records for those years, and not all the
surviving records are on-line.
Irwin & McCutcheon are both fairly common Scottish names (Irwin tends to be
Irving in Scotland) and so if the family were Presbyterian, and lived in
Tyrone, then there is every chance they are Ulster-Scots. They likely arrived
in the 1600s.
There are 3 Presbyterian churches in the Clogher area. Aughentaine has baptisms
from 1836 and marriages from 1845; Carntall or Clogher has baptisms 1819-1845
after which there is a gap. Marriages from 1829; Glenhoy has no records before
1852. Clogher Church of Ireland has baptisms from 1763 and marriages from 1777
(with some gaps). Fivemiletown has records from 1804.
None of the above records appear to be on-line. However there are copies in
PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to
view them though. If you can’t get to PRONI yourself you might want to hire a
Belfast based researcher to look them up for you.
Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church so unless bride & groom happened
to attend the same church, you might find the marriage in one church and the
baptisms in another.
Families often used the same names over again so if, for example, your
Christopher had a brother who remained in Ireland, it wouldn’t be too
surprising if that brother named a son Christopher too. I searched the 1901
census for Tyrone and found just 1 family using the name. Might be a
coincidence or it might be a relation. However Clare More, where they lived,
was in the parish of Clogher, so probably worth a punt.:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Cecil/Clare_More/1725692/

I note that the above family was Church of Ireland. (Not all Scots settlers
were Presbyterian). So I would include Church of Ireland records in your search
too.

Elwyn