-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Giovanni
Panozzo
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 4:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [courier-users] RFC compliance: goodbye to courier MTA

After two years of courier MTA/IMAP use in a ISP (1k mailboxes),
we learned that being so RFC compliant
is only a big cost for us, in terms of helpdesk calls and
customer unsatisfaction, so we are truly considering to
change again our MTA (not the IMAP/POP3 server).

Just one thought.... read RFC 1958, paragraph 3.9

    3.9 Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving.
    Implementations must follow specifications precisely when sending to
    the network, and tolerate faulty input from the network. When in
    doubt, discard faulty input silently, without returning an error
    message unless this is required by the specification.

most of input discarded by courier is certainly faulty, but there is no
doubt on how to process it and forward to the right recipient.

so courier is not RFC 1958 compliant... I would like to hear
some other opinions on this "strict compliance" from other
users, especially from ISP.

Many Thanks
Giovanni