Phillip Hutchings wrote:

1. Courier gets some 4xx error. There are other MXs available but as far as I can Courier tries the same MX several times if not all the time so message delivery is unnecessarily delayed or delivery even fails. Wouldn't it be better to try other MXs (same or different weights) in a round robin or similar fashion in every delivery attempt (obviously respecting weight precedence)?

4xx means "I'm busy right now, but you've reached a valid server, try later".

Sorry but a 4xx error can mean a whole lot of different things, being busy is just one of them.

Why should courier ever consider a different MX? Clearly the MX is valid and working,

It is working but it is not working well. If it were, it would accept the message and not issue a 4xx error. If it issued a 4xx error, something is wrong. This is why I believe Courier should try a different one.

and if you just keep trying other ones you  look like a spam bot.

I don't know where did you saw something I mentioned suggesting that the retry schedule of Courier should be changed. I am not suggesting that. I am simply suggesting that when time come to give another try, this new try is made to another MX. That's why there is the possibility of several MXs for the same domain in the first place.

Email isn't a time-constrained transport. The message will most probably get to the destination within 4 days or so, depending on queue timeouts, it's not urgent.

I agree with you. My point is, if we have an alternative behaviour that might send away a message faster without abusing the destination servers at all, why not use it? That fact that is isn't urgent doesn't mean we shouldn't use the best, non-abusive method to deliver the message as fast as possible. I'm suggesting an alternative method that probably will deliver the message faster.

2. Courier's connection to the other server times out so it defferes message delivery. There are other MXs available but as far as I can Courier tries the same MX several times if not all the time so message delivery is unnecessarily delayed or delivery even fails. Wouldn't it be better to try other MXs (same or different weights) in a round robin or similar fashion in every delivery attempt (obviously respecting weight precedence)?

Courier picks a random MX, check the source if you're concerned. Computers don't often have true random number generation, so it may look non-random.

I don't think the issues I'm seeing are related to true randomess X quasi true randomess. I think it's something much more strong as Courier just using the top rated MXs. I believe that Coureir only tries the top rated MXs. Could Sam please clarify this issue?

If there is any further info that helps clarify my issue please let me know so I will provide it.

What happens when you use a manual connection, eg telnet, to do the same message sending? SMTP has a 30 second timeout iirc. See what happens.

I already did. From two entirely different internet connections at two entirely diverse times. The result is the same: the server hangs after my first "MAIL FROM" command.

Use ethereal to see what's actually happening. Timeouts generally mean the other server has stopped responding or packets just aren't getting there. Since the other side say you're the only one with problems it does sound like a networking issue. Where is your server located? How is it connected to the internet? Are there any firewalls between it and the internet?

Here is the result of my last attempt:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ telnet brsmtp04.br.abnamro.com 25
Trying 200.208.15.131...
Connected to brsmtp04.br.abnamro.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Welcome
ehlo scorsese.fabricadeideias.com
250-br.abnamro.com
250-SIZE 6291456
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-DSN
250-VRFY
250-AUTH
250 8BITMIME
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

and here the connection hangs. I believe this smtp conversation answers your last questions.

The other side is using  Postfix, I don't know of any issues with Postfix.

I have already thought about that. Being a previous qmail user and having never used sendmail this option isn't really attractive. Besides that I have already spent several hours learning, installing, configuring and tweaking Courier. I like it. This is the main reason I'm taking my time at 1 am writing this. I just want to help make Courier better.

Now it's time to sleep. See you tomorrow.

Rodrigo Severo