Here's a follow-up on this case too, in case it can help others:

On Apple Mail clients with the problem, a now confirmed workaround is
to store the drafts locally instead of Imap.
Filed a feedback @ Apple, if that's supposed to help...

Thanx for all contributions (Sam's in particular as always, as he
pointed to the right background...)!

Lorenzo