On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com>
wrote:

> Mike - st257 writes:
>
> Hello Courier Users,
>>
>> I have a user whose mail frequently triggers the following log message:
>> postfix/pipe[7826]: 14E261295F1: to=<<URL:mailto:u...@example.com>
>> u...@example.com>, relay=maildrop, delay=2024, status=deferred
>> (temporary failure. Command output: maildrop: Timeout quota exceeded. )
>>

> Something that gets executed from this recipient's maildrop recipe gets
> hung to stuck.
>
> maildrop has no choice but to abort mail delivery.
>
> When stracing a long running maildrop process, maildrop seems to go
>> through the user's entire mailbox bouncing stat64 calls off files.
>>
>> stat64("/PATH_HERE/mail/.Archive Old Emails/cur/<URL:http://1443112
>> 974.M868311P11219.imap.example.com:2>1443112974.M868311P1121
>> 9.imap.example.com:2,", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=29403, ...}) = 0
>>

> Unless this process takes several minutes, this isn't the issue. You need
> to strace everything, until the timeout occurs, and then look at what was
> going on before the timeout. strace has a useful -t option that logs
> timestamps.

Thanks Sam.

My week has been busy, but I did have a chance to run an strace.
strace -t -o /tmp/user_D0D71128D67.txt maildrop -V3 -d u...@example.com <
/tmp/D0D71128D67

To my disdain, the message was delivered ... no timeout
So much for a bit of consistency to make troubleshooting easier ... or at
least not chase false causes. :-)

More for troubleshooting another day!

--
Mike