On 12/11/2016 10:47 AM, Mike - st257 wrote:
> The user's mailbox is large enough (my opinion, at a few Gigabytes)
> that crawling the entire maildir will take an extremely long time.

If you want to measure this (approximately), wait for an off-peak time
of day, flush the caches, and measure how long it takes to compute the
quota for that Maildir:

# sync
# q=$(head -1 Maildir/maildirsize)
# mv Maildir/maildirsize /tmp
# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
# time maildirmake -q "$q" Maildir > /dev/null

That should give you some idea how long it takes to recompute the quota
for that Maildir, though load on system storage may cause significant
variance in that time.