On 12/09/2016 07:55 AM, Mike - st257 wrote:
> I don't yet have an answer why that file was present (doesn't exist in
> my mailbox on that system), but moving it aside resolves the present
> mail delivery problem.

That file's presence indicates that a Maildir++ has a quota, and is used
to track the quota and usage.  Periodically, a maildir reader must crawl
the entire maildir to re-calculate usage, which could explain the
timeout if an uncached read of all of the directories for that Maildir
take a *really* long time.