On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Mike - st257 <silvertip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mike - st257 writes:
>>
>> Hello Courier Users,
>>>
>>> I have a user whose mail frequently triggers the following log message:
>>> postfix/pipe[7826]: 14E261295F1: to=<<URL:mailto:u...@example.com>
>>> u...@example.com>, relay=maildrop, delay=2024, status=deferred
>>> (temporary failure. Command output: maildrop: Timeout quota exceeded. )
>>>

>> Something that gets executed from this recipient's maildrop recipe gets
>> hung to stuck.
>>
>> maildrop has no choice but to abort mail delivery.
>>
>> When stracing a long running maildrop process, maildrop seems to go
>>> through the user's entire mailbox bouncing stat64 calls off files.
>>>
>>> stat64("/PATH_HERE/mail/.Archive Old Emails/cur/<URL:http://1443112
>>> 974.M868311P11219.imap.example.com:2>1443112974.M868311P1121
>>> 9.imap.example.com:2,", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=29403, ...}) = 0
>>>

>> Unless this process takes several minutes, this isn't the issue. You need
>> to strace everything, until the timeout occurs, and then look at what was
>> going on before the timeout. strace has a useful -t option that logs
>> timestamps.
>>

> Thanks Sam.
>
> My week has been busy, but I did have a chance to run an strace.
> strace -t -o /tmp/user_D0D71128D67.txt maildrop -V3 -d u...@example.com <
> /tmp/D0D71128D67
>
> To my disdain, the message was delivered ... no timeout
> So much for a bit of consistency to make troubleshooting easier ... or at
> least not chase false causes. :-)
>
> More for troubleshooting another day!

I believe I found the issue (at least all the mail that wouldn't deliver
now goes into the user's mailbox!).

The user had a "maildirsize" file within his mail folder.
Shortly after seeing a line about maildirsize the stat64 calls on the
user's mail begins.

16:16:44 open("/PATH_HERE/mail/maildirsize", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_APPEND) =
6

I don't yet have an answer why that file was present (doesn't exist in my
mailbox on that system), but moving it aside resolves the present mail
delivery problem.

--
Mike