Maybe you don't have a membership level that is attractive to them?

Why not talk to the people coming to events and find out on what level
they'd be interested in becoming members? Our basic membership, for
instance, is cheap enough ($25/month) for people to join simply to support
our interest in hosting events. Think of it like an association fee. On top
of that, we're releasing a new internal/external event policy for another
stream of revenue for us.

-----
--
-----