Angel, John, and Trek's responses are the kinds that remind me why this
group exists. Today is a good day on this group in my eyes.

So, we've hit this a couple of times in Indy Hall's history as well. A few
notes without repeating the already great comments so far.

   - The first time, our response was "oh crap, what do we do about this!?".
   The second time, we realized that *we* weren't the ones who needed to do
   anything - *we needed to make our expectations of our members clearer*.
   The "self selection" of members who are motivated to do things on their own
   that Angel mentions works very, very well. But through growth, the self
   selection filters get weaker if they're not maintained. If you watched the
   video I posted from our 4 year anniversary closely, you'll notice a sign
   that says "Don't bother asking Alex, the answer is yes". It's tongue in
   cheek but generally true - when members ask for things, my default response
   is yes, with a caveat: you have to do it for yourself. Something really cool
   happens when new members see existing members who aren't the owners or
   community managers or office managers doing things around the office. They
   realize that maybe they can too. They'll probably ask for permission the
   first time. Then, once we made it clear that it was their office too, they
   started taking ownership of things - everything from interior decorations,
   events and gatherings, newsletters & communication, group initiatives, etc.
   - There's an acclimation period. I know that MOST people don't get
   acclimated to Indy hall until their 3rd visit or so. But acclimation is just
   the first step to being "in", and seeing/feeling the vibe that I think this
   member (and any new member) couldn't find. I've heard more than once that
   it's taken people up to 6 months to really feel like they're "in". So
   there's two options: make sure you're retaining people past the 6 month
   mark, or shorten the time it takes for them to feel "in". We've worked to
   shorten this in a few ways:

   1. Our onboarding of all membership levels encourages people to upload an
      avatar and introduce themselves on our Basecamp when they get in. We've
      noticed those people are welcomed quicker in face to face
interactions, in
      the kitchen, etc. I've noticed that if you start with the tone
of "introduce
      yourself", people are more likely to do that in the future when
they're NOT
      the new members anymore. Start good habits early.
      2. Rituals are great because they create a rhythm of activity, but
      also an opportunity for new members to jump into those rhythms at
      predictable rates. It can be something as simple as a weekly
welcome email
      that says hello to new members to something as goofy as "drinking your
      keys". When new full time members get their keys, we give them
the option to
      receive them from the bottom of a pint of beer. This doesn't work
      everywhere, but social drinking is a big part of our culture at Indy Hall
      and people enjoy this silly ritual - both the participants and the people
      cheering them on.
      3. Speaking of keys, we had a MAJOR undermining of trust - a theft
      conducted by a new full time member. After booting him, we considered our
      options. Lock things down and take away the most critical element of Indy
      Hall - trust - or make it clear that it was in our expectations of our
      members that they work to earn each others trust. If they
weren't getting to
      know each other, there's no way to know "what's weird". So we
came up with a
      social security system that forces all new full time members desiring
      keyholding access to get signatures from 3 other keyholding full time
      members. This forces our existing keyholders to be reminded that the
      community's security is in their hands, quite literally. It also
forces our
      new members to get to know at least 3 other members. Since
introducing this
      process, the quality of interaction from our full time members, and their
      assistance in onboarding new members of all levels, has increased
      dramatically.

   - Figure out your "higher purpose". I learned this one in the early days
   from Chris and Tara, but having a purpose that is bigger than any one person
   is one of the strongest things to help people bond. At Indy Hall, our higher
   purpose is "to make Philadelphia a better place to make a living doing what
   you love". That's not just something we say, but something we do, something
   our members do, and something our members have in common. I think Trek's
   story is similar to this: the "higher purpose", even if it wasn't defined,
   is what let the community members decide that's what they wanted more of -
   and less of the "renters". Look for this in your own communities. Try to
   help it be communicated better to new members. If nothing else, it gives
   them something to talk about when they take out their headphones.

Susan, the ideas you posed in your original email are all fantastic as well.
I'd look at each one closely and figure out which ones need to be *you
leading them*, versus which ones are opportunities for you to actively help
form new leaders in the community. The quality of membership not only goes
up, but the perpetuation of new leadership means you're less likely to find
yourself at this impasse again.

*T**his* is my favorite part of developing a coworking community.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia