Best line in here: "This cost us some more existing and potential
members, to be sure, but they
were the kind who breeze in on clicky heels, march into a conference
room to
meet with clients for three hours, and march out without saying howdy-
do to
anyone."

Yes, we know those breezy, clicky heels very well.

I call them" customers" because unlike members, they don't come with
the intention of belonging, but rather to consume services and be
waited on. I've noticed that people with the customer mentality don't
cope well with the inevitable disruptions you're going to get in a
shared work setting. In fact, we had one fellow ask us if we'd
compensate him for his downtime when we had an internet outage. For
the first time, we began entertaining the idea of breaking up with a
member. "I'm sorry, it's not us, it's you."

I'm glad to say that some of our dearest members first come to us as
mere consumers of space. It's all they know. But at some point they
have a conversion. I haven't figured out what the magic moment is, the
words that are spoken, that causes the change of heart, but it's good
to keep in mind that it's always possible.

Trek, your story was super helpful and inspiring. Reminds me of what
an Open Space facilitator once told me: that she wasn't responsible
for people's experience at, say, an unconference, but that the
participants were responsible for their *own* experience. I feel like
we're talking about much the same thing...

Thanks, all!

d.

Don Ball
CoCo coworking and collaborative space