Chairs are tricky. They're very personal, in terms of effectiveness, needs, and
desires.

We've done the office liquidation route for large purchases of chairs, which
have gotten us some nice rolling chairs for <$150/each.

That said, we strongly encourage our members to invest in themselves and buy a
high quality chair for themselves if they're a full time member. This lets them
choose their price point and select their needs based on tolerances for comfort
and ergonomics without putting the pressure on us to deliver across the
spectrum. If and when they leave, of course, the chair they've purchased goes
along with them.

We've considered a model where people could pay an additional fee on their
membership for premium chair upgrades, but felt that it trended too far into
the "services and stuff" side of coworking and in reality, the return wasn't
significant.

The downside of this, of course, is that chairs aren't aesthetically uniform.
That works for us (or has worked for us) so far since we've got a more organic
aesthetic anyway, so that should be taken into consideration.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia