I wrote this in 2011, but my thoughts haven’t changed much:

http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2011/11/sex-coworking-and-rock-n-roll/

WeWork is tiny compared to Regus (who employs nearly 1/4 of the headcount that
WeWork is aiming for as membership in 2015). And yet we laugh at considering
Regus a coworking competitor.

Further, viewing communities as “competitive" only makes sense in a vacuum. In
reality, people choose what suits them. Using the analogy in that post, music
artists don’t “compete” directly with each other. And to use the restaurant
analogy from previous posts, a chinese food restaurant doesn’t “compete"
directly with a steakhouse, even though they technically serve some of the same
ingredients.

Point being: catch yourselves when huge numbers and eye-popping statistics
become a distraction from what YOU need to do best, which is support and lead
YOUR communities.

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com

On Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Steve King <sk...@emergentresearch.com>,