Commercial real estate is a huge industry and its business practices and
models are substantially the same as they were decades ago. From the point
of view of venture investors, it's an industry ripe for disruptive change.
WeWork has shown it has a business model that's disruptive and, at least so
far, highly scalable. This, coupled with WeWork also being a play on the
future of work,is why investors are so excited about them.

We've interviewed a number of WeWork members and they consistently talk
about the networking opportunities and community provided by WeWork spaces.
Because of this, we consider them coworking facilities. But WeWork
communities are pretty different from those of traditional coworking
spaces. They've targeted startups - including larger startups with 5-10 or
more employees - as their primary market. This is a  different segment than
most traditional coworking facilities serve. And while they do have
independent worker members, these folks tell us they are in a WeWork space
primarily because of the access it provides to startups.

So are they coworking? We think yes. But the broader workspace as a service
industry contains multiple market segments and its size, structure and
diversity make it unlikely to be a "winner take all or most" industry like
many digital business are.

In other words, we think there's plenty of room for different kinds of
coworking spaces to be successful.