David Golden wrote:
So I keep noticing "litter" in my home directory while running the
smoker.  It looks like either temp files or default locations for
things.  I consider that bad behavior for tests.

I have been guilty of that *in the past*.

During my rewrite of ExtUtils::ModuleMaker in July-Sept 2005, I wanted to add functionality for a .modulemakerrc file which would enable an experienced user to do short-cuts around the prompts in the 'modulemaker' command-line utility. So the question, "Can I save a file under a user's home directory?" became important. I know that at one point I was unintentionally leaving files on tester's servers. Eventually I deduced what was happening by examining FAIL reports I was getting from imacat.

I corrected the problem and, at the suggestion of Michael Graham, made that solution generally available on CPAN: File::Save::Home.

I'm considering making my home directory read-only and then smoking
all of CPAN again to see what fails its tests.

I haven't had to think much of File::Save::Home recently (except insofar as an alternative to File::HomeDir -- but that's a separate thread), so I don't know how such a change in your policies would affect it. But since people are probably not aware of the problem, I would hope that you would first try to encourage good practices (which may or may not include File::Save::Home) and only make your directory read-only as a last resort.

Jim Keenan