On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Chris Marshall <c...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> One other question: if a module lists a developers
> release of another module as a requirement,
> will CPAN or CPANPLUS try to build the module (even
> though it is not a stable release, or will some sort
> of error (or worse, no information at all...)

CPAN/CPANPLUS can't install development versions because they aren't
indexed.  I *think* they will install the latest stable, then complain
that the prerequisite couldn't be satisfied.

Because the prerequisite could not be satisfied, no CPAN Testers
report will be sent on failure.  (PASS reports would be sent, though.)

If the dependency bumps to a stable release higher than the
development version you've listed, then everything works as normal
again.

Specifying a development release as a prerequisite is a sort of
halfway measure to indicate that whatever is stable on CPAN is not
enough, but in a way that will work fine once the development version
becomes the new stable.

Unless the toolchain is updated to allow *distributions* and not
*modules* to be listed as prerequisites, this is pretty much the best
that can be done.  (Barring a "development" packages index, which
would probably be an optional thing for users to enable.)

-- David